Nelnet wants you to understand how we collect, protect and use your personal information and the choices you have about how that information is used. This notice covers all of the information handling practices for the Nelnet companies listed at the end of this notice.
Cookies and Web Site Information
Like most other commercial websites, we use standard "cookie" technology and web server logs to collect information about how our web site is used. Cookies are small pieces of data that are stored by your web browser on your hard drive. The cookies allow our web servers to recognize the computers used to access our websites. Cookies allow you to move from page to page on the website, by remembering the information about the entire session.
Information gathered through cookies and by our web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our Web site, and the Web sites visited just before and just after our Web site. This information is collected on an aggregate basis. None of this information is associated with you as an individual.
The Peterson's websites are designed for high school students, their parents, and adults seeking information on higher education. Children under 13 years of age may use these websites to get general information about higher education. However, we do not collect personal information from anyone under 13, and children under 13 may not register or conduct personalized searches.
How Do We Secure Information Transmissions?
If you purchase a product from us, we will ask for a credit card number. These transactions are secured using licensed secure server software which encrypts the information you provide.
Additionally, we periodically review our operations and business practices for compliance with corporate policies and procedures governing the security, confidentiality and quality of our information.
Information we collect and why
In order to provide you with products and services, we collect information about you from different sources:
- Information you provide to us on forms (such as applications), in writing, by telephone or through one of our Web sites.
- Information collected from your transactions with us or others, such as account activity.
- Information from unaffiliated third parties such as credit histories from credit reporting agencies.
Information safeguarding practices
Nelnet understands the trust you have placed in us and is committed to the security and privacy of your personal information.
- Our authorized employees, agents and contractors receive only the information about you they need to perform their required work.
- We comply with federally recognized safeguard standards including: intrusion monitoring, Secure Socket Layer, firewall monitoring, security audits, and system inspections. We safeguard data with password encryption technology.
- Companies that assist us in delivering our products and services are also required to protect your information and use it only for the services we ask them to perform.
Information sharing within the Nelnet affiliated companies
Nelnet may share information within our affiliated companies in order to better understand and provide solutions for your educational and financial needs. This enables us to selectively contact you about products, services and promotions that we believe will be of interest to you.
We may share all the information we have collected about you with our affiliated companies. If you prefer we not share third party consumer report information collected about you with our affiliated companies, you may instruct us not to do so via email at email@example.com . Please be sure to provide the following information, and write “Affiliate Opt Out” in the subject line: your name, address and account number. You may also call us at 1-800-225-0261 . We may continue to share other information about you within these affiliated companies as required or permitted by law.
Information sharing with service providers and others outside the Nelnet affiliated companies
To the extent required or permitted by law, Nelnet may share the personal information we have collected with service providers and limited unaffiliated third parties for the following reasons:
- To service your account and provide you with products and services you’ve requested.
- To marketing providers that assist us in communicating additional products, services and special offers to you.
- To comply with a legal requirement, such as a law, regulation, court order, subpoena or search warrant, or in the course of a legal proceeding.
- In response to your consent or request.
- To report to a credit bureau.
- In the case of student loans, to report to a guaranty agency, school, or the U.S. Department of Education.
- We may disclose information about you to outside sources that offer educational and financial products, services, or opportunities. Examples of these parties include (but are not limited to): colleges and universities, scholarship search groups, insurance providers, security companies, and credit organizations. If you prefer we not share information collected about you with limited third parties offering educational and financial products and services, you may instruct us not to do so via email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to provide the following information, and write “Third Party Opt Out” in the subject line: your name, address and account number. You may also call us at 1-800-225-0261 .
Nelnet will accept opt-outs from individuals or joint account holders who may make privacy choices for each other.
Nelnet will automatically manage accounts with Vermont addresses as if the account holder has selected both opt out choices described above, unless we receive your consent to share information. You may provide your consent by submitting the necessary information at email@example.com .
Nelnet will automatically handle accounts with California addresses as if the account holder has selected not to have information shared with limited third parties offering educational and financial products, services and opportunities unless we receive your consent to share information with these limited third parties. You may provide your consent by submitting the necessary information at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Information about this policy
- This policy is effective January 1, 2007 .
- This policy applies to current and former customers.
- In the event of material policy changes to this policy, a new privacy notice will be sent to you.
- This policy is available at www.petersons.com .
- If you previously made an opt-out request, you do not need to contact us again. That request still applies and remains in effect.
You and your personally identifiable information
You are encouraged to take steps to protect your privacy by keeping passwords and personal identification numbers confidential, never disclosing personal information to unknown callers, and ensuring your Internet use is secured and protected from unauthorized access or use. If you believe you are a victim of identify theft:
- Call the Federal Social Security Administration fraud hotline: 800.269.0271
- File a police report with your local authorities, note the report number and officer’s name
- Call the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft hotline: 877.IDTHEFT
- Contact the major national credit reporting agencies:
Trans Union 800.680.7289
Nelnet companies covered by this policy
LoanStar Funding Group, Inc.
National Education Loan Network, Inc.
Nelnet Education Loan Funding, Inc.
Nelnet Guarantee Solutions, LLC
College Bound Loans, Inc.
National Education Loan of New England, Inc./NESLA
EFS Finance Co.
Chela Education Funding, Inc.
SLAAA Acquisition Corporation
Petersons Nelnet LLC
This list may change at any time without notice. Please visit www.petersons.com to review the most current list of Nelnet companies covered under this policy.
Contact Us With Any Questions
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of our websites, or your dealings with this web site, please contact the proper address below:
2000 Lenox Drive
Lawrenceville , NJ 08648